Air Quality

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment Bureau of Air (BOA) is the enforcement and permitting authority for state and most federal regulations regarding air pollution control through the provisions of the Kansas Air Quality Control Act and Kansas Air Quality Regulations. Numerous types of sources, including stationary and portable, are regulated by Kansas Air Quality Regulations.

Regulatory Compliance Assistance

The Pollution Prevention Institute, through SBEAP, provides free and confidential compliance assistance for Kansas small businesses that need help understanding or identifying how regulations apply to their facilities. This service is administered through a hotline, email communication, on-site visits, training events and the tools listed below.

Air Quality Quick Essentials

Training Resources

Air permits, inspections and emission reporting are critical components of the U.S. EPA Clean Air Act and Kansas Air Quality Regulations. This introductory training covers air quality, emissions inventory, permits and inspections and will help you understand important regulations and obligations for your facility. Learn more about training resources

Regulations and Resources

This page contains links to state and federal air quality regulations that may be applicable to your facility and its operations. Most federal air quality rules have been adopted by reference into Kansas Administrative Regulations. Learn more about regulations and resources

Emissions Tools

Calculating the facility-wide or process-specific potential to emit (PTE) is the most important part of an air quality compliance program. This page provides tools (in Microsoft Excel format) designed to assist in estimating the PTE from various operations. Learn more about emissions tools

Open Burning

Open burning in Kansas is regulated by the KDHE Bureau of Air and permits are obtained from KDHE district offices and local agency air programs. Learn more about open burning, including FAQs, informational handouts, forms and links to additional resources.