This page is currently under development. Please check back regularly for updates.
New: 2021 Compliance Initiative for Kansas Non-discharging Ready-Mix Concrete Industry
The Kansas Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP) at Kansas State University will assist the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) Bureau of Water with a compliance initiative involving the ready-mix concrete (RMC) industry. The EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit period for RMC facilities in Kansas will renew in 2022, but prior to that renewal facilities will need visited and their operations compared to descriptions in their existing NPDES permit.
Facilities will receive a letter from KDHE explaining this initiative, which will run through Dec. 31, 2021 and will involve -
1) SBEAP on-site visits at non-discharging facilities using the KDHE compliance checklist;
2) SBEAP review of facilities’ checklists and compliance gaps, providing opportunity for technical assistance and correction of non-compliance areas; and
3) providing completed checklists to KDHE, who has the sole responsibility for enforcement.
If you have questions about this, please contact KDHE at (785) 296-2856 or SBEAP at (800) 578-8898.
Kansas SBEAP can provide assistance to RMC facilities with the following:
- Notice of Intent (NOI) Paperwork
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWP2 Plans)
- Sampling Assistance and Troubleshooting
- Discharge Quality Issues Assistance
- Discharge Lagoon Testing and Upgrade Consultation
Specific information regarding the Kansas Ready-Mix Concrete General NPDES Permit can be found at Kansas Department of Health and Environment Bureau of Water webpage.